We all need an easy dhal recipe to have up our sleeve – and hopefully this is gonna be yours. It’s light, flavoursome, and will taste so much better than getting takeaway (I promise!).
3 cups water (you can add extra depending on the desired consistency)
1 cup yellow split lentils
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 green chilli (thinly sliced)
1/4 cup chopped coriander
salt to taste
1. Cook the lentils by combining the water, lentils and turmeric in a saucepan and simmering on a low heat until the lentils are soft and mushy (takes roughly 30 mins). Add extra water if the lentils are drying out.
2. In another saucepan heat the cumin seeds in sunflower oil so they turn a darker brown colour and release their flavour. Add the garlic, ginger and chillies and cook on low heat for 1-2 mins.
3. Add the cooked lentils to the spice mixture and add more water depending on how liquidy you want your dhal.
3. Season with salt to taste and let the dhal simmer for 10 mins, adding the coriander in the last 2 minutes so it wilts and combines well with the dhal.
4. Serve dhal with any combination of rice/roti/lemon/yoghurt.
Serves 2-3 people